I Was in Selma, Alabama Today.  

Posted by Jessica in ,

It was AMAZING. As you know, I'm not a fan of John McCain, but he delivered a touching speech that was pretty well delivered (considering his lack of oratory skills) and the meat of it, the actual words, were beautiful (props to the speechwriters!). Click here for the full text. Standing there in Selma, looking at the Edmund Pettus Bridge, you could feel the history in the air and there was a specialness about the place that I can't even describe. I've never felt anything like it and the accompanying feelings haunt me.

It's made me reflect on a time when African-Americans were denied their equal and constitutional rights. It made me realize the incredible bravery it took to begin their march, knowing full well they wouldn't complete their journey and would be met with violence. Yet they marched. Not once, not twice, but three times.

It made me think of the ordinary folks who were sitting at home and seeing those horrifying images on television and how that must've inspired many to march, whether physically or symbolically, and some to realize that the injustice of one is the injustice of all.

During this election season, when we complain about the ongoing primary, let us not forget the sacrifice many made to ensure all would have the right to vote.

2 comments

The book Freedom's Daughters chronicles the Civil Rights Movement from the woman perspective. It focuses a lot on Selma.

I think it's so cool that you are experiencing so much, and seeing so many different states! What an awesome time in your life! Such great, life changing experiences!!

Post a Comment