Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out of the Box  

Posted by Jessica in ,

So a few years ago in my Sociological Theory class at BYU-Idaho, we were studying some theories by Terry Warner. You have probably not heard of him but I was so fascinated by the theories that I bought the book, Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out of the Box by The Arbinger Institute.  (he founded The Arbinger Institute).


I had read the book a few years ago and liked it but just wasn't able to wrap my mind around the whole idea of getting out of the box and how important it was. A few weeks ago I started reading it again and have realized the importance of getting out of the box and how learning to do so isn't so much a trait of being a good leader but a trait of being a good person. I've also realized that no matter how good you get at getting out of the box, it's a constant struggle. 

I don't even want to get into some of the theories of the book for fear of completely butchering them. But if you go the link above, you can read excerpts from the book and if you like it, you can buy it used for $6.42 + shipping. Or, go to a local bookstore and buy it because I think it has important lessons to impart.

Warner is Mormon and teaches at BYU and if you want a short wiki bio on him, go here. So anyways, check out the book and let me know what you think or if you have other good recommendations. 

0 comments

Post a Comment