To stay or not to stay? That is the question.  

Posted by Jessica in , , ,

Today, I received an email from a former ISU College Dem and someone who received her MPA (Master's in Public Administration) a few years ago. She told me she had been reading my blog and knew I was looking for work and sent me some links and job leads. Thank you if you are reading this!

The email made me confront my own feelings in regards to where I should be and where I should be willing to go. Pocatello doesn't offer the job opportunities that other cities do. It doesn't offer the prime opportunities to work on political/issue campaigns so that I can fulfill my dream of being some political expert who is respected in the industry. I don't want to be just respected, I want to be the best!

However, Pocatello is where some of my good friends reside, it is where I feel comfortable, it is where I am established with the local county party and somewhat known with candidates/politicians, and it is where I am currently. I won't move to another city unless I have a job offer, but how hard am I willing to look in other cities? So far, not hard, not hard at all. But does that need to change?

I highly doubt I will spend the rest of my life here, it just doesn't jive with so many of my plans and goals, but I don't know that I am quite willing to leave right now, or at the end of the summer.

In so many ways it makes a lot of sense to stay here for at least another year, if not longer. But it also makes sense to move to a bigger city, or to a state that actually values a two party system, or one that will offer more opportunities to get involved with politics, politics that match my beliefs. So I find myself staring at this conundrum and wondering what I should do. And never more than today did it feel more right to leave Pocatello but just as right, if not more, to stay.

0 comments

Post a Comment