The Idaho Democratic Party and Minority Outreach.  

Posted by Jessica in , , ,

This weekend at the retreat I attended, I had the chance to have an interesting conversation. I was discussing my issues with the Idaho Democratic Party and the other person mentioned one issue he has and that is the lack of minority outreach.

Before I discuss this further, let me preface it by saying that the staff with the Idaho Democratic Party are smart and hardworking. There is no doubt about that. They have been asked to accomplish nearly impossible things and I think they are doing a good job. However, there is an aspect that needs to be worked on. This is an aspect that the State Party shouldn't shoulder on their own. Every county party should have a minority outreach plan and committee.

I find it incredibly humorous that candidates, local parties, and others think they can walk onto a Native American reservation once or twice a year and expect a decent voter turnout. Or, have a voter registration event and quit after only a few people register-I've been guilty of this myself. While every voter outreach should be about establishing relationships, this is far more true in regards to minority populations, especially Native Americans.

I don't claim to be an expert in any aspect related to minority outreach, but I hope the State Party and county parties will take the time and effort to reach out to the disenfranchised and not just during an election season. If there is any hope to win races beyond Ada, Blaine, and Bannock County, that hopes resides in minority outreach and voter turnout.

0 comments

Post a Comment