Some thoughts on the John Edwards mistress and love child stories...  

Posted by Jessica in , , , ,

By now, you may have heard about the John Edwards affair allegations that include a child he allegedly fathered. sigh. I have many thoughts. First of all, nothing has been proven. Second of all, I hope to God it isn't true. But, if the affair and/or child story is true, it is a very sad story.

It basically underscores a problem many politicians face, adultery. Hell, it's a problem many people face. Frankly I'm not too terribly surprised when there are allegations of this sort of thing and when the allegations are proven, it's just another public face who did what we have come to expect. Truly sad that we have become numb to something as tragic and wrong as adultery.

I think the reason adultery bothers me so much is because I believe that trust is sacred and adultery can ruin or at least damage the trust that has been sacredly placed with another. Also, adultery doesn't just affect a married couple, but the children, extended family, even the person(s) who is sleeping with the married person.

This situation with John Edwards is really providing me with a test. I have a problem with splitting. As you all know, I love and adore John Edwards. Not just the politician, but the person. I think he geniunely has a good heart. Yeah, he's filthy rich and lives in a big mansion and is a millionaire, but I know he cares about poverty. I know he was geniune in what he wanted to fight for as President. I still believe in his message and I will never regret voting for him in the NEW HAMPSHIRE Primary.

So my splitting problem is something I try to work on. Believe me, it's a daily battle. The John Edwards allegations are providing me with the perfect test. It makes me angry that he might've done this to his wife, kids, and supporters. It will damage his reputation and hurt him if he continues working on issues he cares about. We may never know the effects.

This is all so unfortunate because it shouldn't discount the work he has done; the kids he has helped put through college with his own money, the people he helped who are poor, the millions he inspired with his message. I think if we knew of every politician who had an affair, we'd be shocked. If we withdrew our support based on the fact that a politician did have an affair, we'd be hardpressed to find many to support.

A politician who doesn't cheat shouldn't be given a pat on the back, but one that does have an affair shouldn't get a free pass. We want better and we should demand better. (FYI: John McCain cheated on his first wife with a much younger woman, his current wife, Cindy McCain. His first wife was a model but was in a car accident and gained weight and lost height and didn't have those same model looks.)

I hate that politics has come to this. We expect adultery, corruption, cronyism, special favors, and special interests placed over majority interests. So, either we can keep expecting this, or we can do something about it. What will you do?

2 comments

Is John Edward's private life that important ? Is this story a Republican Smear Campaign ? Politics and the media are are just brutal. Amazingly, as things were going so well for Barack Obama, all of a sudden this story hits the wire. Conspiracy or Fact ?

petes2cents.com

republican smear campaign?!?! are you insane? if this story is true, as it looks more and more like it is, try blaming the guy who did it.

Post a Comment